Advanced Family Law Advocacy
|Term: Spring Term 2012-13 (2134)|
|Catalog Number: 5611|
|Class Number: 18920|
|Room: LAW G20.|
|Instructor: Kenneth J. Horoho, Jr.|
|Credits: 3.0 Credits|
|Catalog Requirements: "W" Writing, Professional Skills.|
Enrollment Limit: 8.
|Priority: Limited Enrollment - 3rd Year Priority|
- Formal Classes are scheduled for two consecutive hours each week during the Spring term. However, there are four mock trials that you will be obligated to either participate or attend which are held in the Allegheny County Family Court Building in Downtown Pittsburgh. Although each of those trials will also be held during scheduled class time, students should allow for additional time for transportation to and from the downtown area in order to attend the mock trial.
- Students are paired in teams of two, acting as co-counsel and each team will participate in at least two mock trials; one involving lay witnesses and one involving expert witnesses. Students will be expected to interview their clients/witnesses in order to prepare their testimony for trial. The witnesses will be located in the downtown area or in Oakland.
- Students will be expected to prepare a memorandum of law for the trial judge prior to the hearing and/or prepare opening and closing arguments, if appropriate.
- One class is totally dedicated to Motions Court. Students will be expected to prepare the motion, a memorandum of law in support of their motion and be prepared to argue their motion to the motions judge. Motions Court will be held at the law school during the regular class time.
Please schedule accordingly when you register so that you comply with the above requirements.
Each student will receive a letter grade based on some or all of the following factors:
- Participation in classroom work;
- Performance in the preparation of their trials, including counseling and preparing witnesses for trial and preparation of trial memorandum;
- Performance during their trials;
- Writing assignments throughout the course;
- Research assignments;
- Advocacy Skills