Clinical Bioethics and Law
|Term: Fall Term 2012-13 (2131)|
|Catalog Number: 5980|
|Class Number: 14895|
|Instructor: Alan Meisel|
|Credits: 3.0 Credits|
This course meets in the Summer of 2012, from May 14 through June 29. Enrollment is for the Fall 2012-13 Semester, and credits are awarded at the end of this term.
|Priority: General Enrollment Course|
In addition, students are required to:
- Contact Dr. Valerie Satkoske by March 24 by email to her administrator, Janet Malis (email@example.com).
- Attend an orientation session on April 3, noon-1:00 in the seminar room of the Center for Bioethics and Health Law (CBHL), 300 Medical Arts Building.
- Meet medical, legal, and institutional requirements of the clinical site and be cleared to interact with patients, as discussed during orientation.
- Pre-register for and attend the Medical Humanities Conference to be held at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, May 15 (5-9pm) – May 16 (8am-5pm). Registration information and other details are available at: http://www.bioethics.pitt.edu/MHC10thAnnualMeeting.php
- Attend the CBHL Colloquium noon-1:30 May 18 by registration with Beth Ann Pischke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Attend at least one ethics committee meeting at an identified site.
- Attend and complete the requirements of a weekly seminar in clinical ethics and medical sociology, Thursday afternoons, 3:00-6:00, which, includes discussion of assigned readings, case presentations, guest speakers, written case analysis, maintenance of a journal or field notes of the clinical experience, and submission of those field notes for review and comment.
During this full-time course, students do not have time to be employed and may not do an externship concurrently.
Grade is based on evaluation by faculty and on the paper(s). Pass/Fail.