Three Fellowships of $6,000 Each for Internships Abroad
Dr. Alberta Sbragia, the first Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg University Professor, set aside part of the Professorship funds available to her to support up to three fellowships per year for law students with summer internships at institutions in Europe. A Nordenberg Fellow will be funded in the amount of $6,000 to cover travel and expenses.
Applications must be submitted to the CILE office (318). All application materials must also be submitted electronically to CILE Assistant Director Cynthia Yializis at email@example.com.
Students may apply for a Nordenberg Fellowship to fund any summer internship opportunity in Europe. Past Nordenberg Fellows have participated in internships at:
- The Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg, Germany.
- The Institute for European Studies in Brussels, Belgium.
- The Human Rights Division of the German Federal Foreign Office in Berlin, Germany.
- Associazione Nazionale Cultura Educazione Internazionale (ANCEI) and Goodwill Italia in Rome, Italy.
- The Legal Service of the European Commission, in Brussels, Belgium.
- Various law firms and private law placements throughout Europe.
Each Nordenberg Fellow will:
- complete an internship of at least 2 months duration at a location in Europe during the appropriate summer;
- complete a course in EU Law either prior to or during the academic year following the internship;
- attend at least two lectures sponsored by the European Union Center of Excellence (EUCE) during the academic year following completion of the internship;
- be available to meet with potential School of Law applicants when they visit Pittsburgh; and
- be available to visit colleges and universities in Western Pennsylvania (at CILE expense — and at times that will not conflict with classes) to speak about his or her internship experience to students who may consider attending the School of Law.