Pitt Law Academy: Program For 1Ls (& Interested Others)
Next Thursday, September 13, at 4:30, in the Courtroom, the Law School will host the very first of ten Pitt Law Academy programs for this Academic Year. The first program is “‘If I Only Knew Then What I Know Now’: Thoughts From Prominent Lawyers on What They Should Have Done and Not Done When They Were in Law School To Prepare For Their Legal Careers.”
The five panelists who will be speaking are a terrific, amazing, interesting group of super-successful lawyers, each of whom works in this region:
- Lisa Freeland, Federal Public Defender, Western District of Pennsylvania
- Necia Hobbes, Law Clerk to U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Michael Fisher (soon-to-be Associate, Jones Day, Pittsburgh)
- Honorable Lisa Lenihan, Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court, W.D. Pa.
- Honorable Hugh McGough, Magisterial District Judge, Allegheny County (PA)
- Bob Ridge, Chair, Litigation Department, Thorp Reed & Armstrong (Pittsburgh)
As you will discover, not only is this an extraordinarily successful group of lawyers, but each one of them is truly interesting, thoughtful, inspiring, and entertaining as well. You should truly enjoy hearing about how each of these lawyers “made it,” and their advice about how you can “make it,” too.
We know. We do know. We recognize that you’re just now finishing two weeks of law school. You’re not ready to start your careers yet. But, you know what? It’s never too early to start thinking about where all of this might lead. Hey, we look forward to inviting a couple of you 1Ls to speak on this panel a few short years from now! Why not? You can have an incredible career, too. Necia Hobbes, one of the speakers who you will hear from, just graduated a year ago May!
Remember, a reception follows this (hour-long) event in the Student Lounge. Don’t just listen to these speakers. Come meet them, too!
2ls and 3Ls: You’re more than welcome to come and listen . . . and to eat a cookie or two at the Reception as well. Oh, except for the chocolate chip ones. They are for the 1Ls. They’re newer.