Fixing a Blank Desktop after running SecurExam
A few students have reported that running the Securexam Software freezes their computer, and on a restart their computer boots to a blank desktop with no Start Menu or task bar. If you are experiencing this problem, follow these instructions to restore your Desktop.
1. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on the keyboard.
2. Click the Task Manager button if the Task Manager is not the first window to appear.
3. Select the "New Task (Runâ€¦)" command on the "File" menu.
4. Type the word "regedit" and click OK.
5. Click "Continue" if necessary.
6. Open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder.
7. Open the "Software" folder.
8. Open the "Microsoft" folder.
9. Open the "Windows NT" folder.
10. Open the "Current Version" folder.
11. Click on the "WinLogon" folder to select it.
12. On the right side of the Registry Editor window, right-click the "Shell" item and select the "Modify" command.
13. Change the "Value data" field to "explorer.exe".
14. Close the Registry Editor.
15. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on the keyboard.
16. The first window that appears (either the Task Manager or the Security window, depending on the operating system) may have a button or menu item to restart the computer. If so, select it.
17. If there is no option to restart the computer, display the Task Manager.
18. Select the "New Task (Runâ€¦)" command on the "File" menu.
19. Type the word "cmd" and click OK.
20. In the Command Prompt window, type the command "shutdown —r" and press the Enter key.
After restoring your Desktop, please stop by our office in Rm 425 of the Barco Law Building (M-F 8:30am-5pm) so that the IT staff can identify the underlying cause.