Barco Law Library: City and County Law
- Municipal Government
- Home page for the City of Pittsburgh, with links to all departments in the city government.
- The entire Code of Ordinances for the City of Pittsburgh.
- City Departments
- Links to all city departments including Emergency, Fire, Police, Parking and Public Works.
- City Documents
- Online versions of important city documents, including:
- Home Rule Charter
- City Budget for the last 6 years
- City Council meeting agendas and minutes
- City Tax Forms
- City of Pittsburgh Ethics Handbook and complaint form
- The city's Right to Know Policy
- Guide to Permitting
- Information on the permitting process for land and building improvements in Pittsburgh.
- Pittsburgh Legal Journal Opinions
- Pittsburgh Legal Journal Opinions published on the Allegheny County Bar Association website. As of Nov. 2009 these opinions are no longer available in print, and are only available on the ACBA website.
- Pittsburgh Municipal Court
- The PMC comprises a Housing Division, Traffic Division and Criminal Division. Magisterial District Judges are assigned to preside over more than 70,000 cases annually in this court.
- Pittsburgh Parking Court
- Information about parking tickets and parking enforcement in the city, including a link that allows you to pay a parking ticket online.
- County Government
- Home page for Allegheny County, with links to programs, services, and operations of the county government.
- Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas
- The home page for the Court of Common Pleas, Fifth Judicial District of Pennsylvania, has links to:
- The Civil Division
- The Criminal Division Each year over 20,000 criminal cases are disposed by 15 judges in crimes ranging from simple misdemeanors to homicide. The criminal division includes five departments: adult probation office, bail agency, behavior clinic, jury operations, and court support personnel.
- The Family Division The mission of the Family Division is to resolve family legal issues in a user-friendly forum which maximizes access to the Court, and best addresses the important and unique needs of children and families.
- Orphans' Court The cases that are heard in the Orphans' Court Division include all matters involving decedent's estates, trusts, wills, guardians of the persons and estates of minors, guardians of the persons and estates of incapacitated persons, powers of attorney, termination of parental rights and adoptions, civil commitments, marriage licenses, nonprofit associations and corporations, and inheritance and estate tax matters.
- The Civil Division
- The Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas has administrative control and responsibility for keeping and maintaining all official documents and records, as well as the official Seal of the Civil and Family Divisions of the Court. This website allows for electronic filing and retrieving of court documents and has electronic forms and rules for electronic filing.
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- The Allegheny County Bar Association (ACBA) is a professional organization with more than 6,500 member lawyers, judges, magisterial district justices, legal administrators and paralegals.
The website includes an online Lawyer Referral Service.
- Local newspapers with online websites include the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and the Pittsburgh Business Times.
- Local TV news websites include KDKA, WPXI and WTAE.
- Legal News
- The Pittsburgh Legal Journal The official legal journal for both the Court of Common Pleas and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. Public notices, court schedules and court notices can all be found here.
The Lawyers Journal The Lawyers Journal (TLJ), published every 2 weeks, publishes substantive legal articles that provide a detailed look at recent important court decisions and furnishes timely information on areas of interest to the local legal community.