Services for Students
The Barco Law Library offers a variety of services to students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. Our aim is to help students with their research, writing, class preparation and citation checking and to teach students the legal research skills that will prepare them to excel in their summer positions and legal careers.
- Circulating materials
- This includes most legal treatises, which can be borrowed by law students for 4 weeks. A valid Pitt ID is required.
- Reserve materials
- including sample exams can be borrowed by law students for 2 hours. A valid Pitt ID is required.
- Laptop computers and computer cords
- These can be borrowed by Pitt Law students for 4 hours at a time and must be used INSIDE the library. The first time you borrow these you must fill out a form at the library desk that will tell you the terms and conditions of borrowing. A valid Pitt Law ID is required.
- Interlibrary Loan
- If you need a book, article or other material that isn't owned by Pitt we may be able to borrow it from another library. There is usually a fee for this service. Ask at the desk for more information.
- Non-Law University of Pittsburgh students
- Non-Law University of Pittsburgh undergraduate and graduate students can borrow circulating books for two weeks using their Pitt IDs. Videos, CD's and books in the law library's Commons Collection do not circulate to non-law patrons.
Legal Research Resources
- Barco Law Librarians
- will always help you with your legal research questions, in person at the library desk, by telephone at (412) 648-1325, or by email.
- Legal database subscriptions
- The library has a comprehensive collection of legal databases available for students to use. Read complete information about the databases on our online research pages, and contact us for training or research assistance.
- Shelf Locations
- If you are looking for a book or journal the general plan of the library is:
4th Floor (Main floor) has the Microfiche Room, Zittrain Reference Collection, Reserve Materials (at the desk), current Journals (desk), all PA law, Primary State Materials and Primary U.S. Materials
3rd Floor: International Collection, Treatise Collection
5th Floor: all Law Journals, second copies of some PA primary law & U.S. primary law.
A detailed list of the shelf locations of frequently used materials is here.
Lexis and Westlaw
- Student accounts
- All students are assigned accounts with Lexis and Westlaw during the school year for their entire law school career.
- Transfer students
- You must switch from your old school account to a new Pitt account but you are able to keep any "points" earned at the previous school. Contact the Electronic Services librarian for help doing this.
- Summer Use
- In some circumstances students may use their accounts during the summer break; you will receive emails from Lexis and Westlaw with instructions on how to arrange this.
- Expert training in using both databases is always available. Visit the Lexis or Westlaw websites for info about the trainings that they offer at Pitt, or contact the Barco Electronic Services librarian for information and help.
- Study Rooms
- There are 6 study rooms on the 4th floor of the library available for groups of law students. Keys to the study rooms are available for checkout at the library desk. Study room keys and the study rooms can be used for 2 hours, after which the group must return the key and vacate the room.
- Sample Exams
- Many professors place sample exams on reserve at the library desk. These exams can be borrowed by law students with valid Pitt Law ID for 2 hours. At this time we do not provide online access to sample exams.
- CALI Lessons
- The Barco Law Library is a member of CALI, Computer Assisted Legal Instruction. CALI offers interactive tutorials in most areas of law to help students practice their knowledge. Students must register with CALI the first time they use the lessons; contact the library for information on how to register.
- The library has a collection of outlines, located at the library desk, that students can use in the library. These outlines don't circulate.
Printing and Photocopying
- Westlaw and Lexis
- Westlaw and Lexis offer free printing of materials from their databases for students. The Lexis and Westlaw student printers are located in the 2 computer labs on the 4th floor.
- Other Printing and Photocopying
- Students can use the library's photocopiers and printers by swiping their Pitt ID cards through a card reader. Copies and printouts cost $0.08 per page using a Pitt ID card. Money can be added to your ID card using the Card Management machine located next to the Sidebar Cafe in the Student Commons area, or at the ID Center located in the Main Lobby of the Towers.
Printing is also available for all Pitt students in the University Computer Labs.