Torts Section C - Crossley
TORTS – SECTION C
The book required for this course is FRANKLIN, RABIN & GREEN, TORT LAW AND ALTERNATIVES: CASES AND MATERIALS (9th ed. 2011).
For our first class on Monday, August 26, at 3:30, please read and be prepared to discuss pages 1-9 of the casebook. As part of your preparation, consider the following questions regarding Hammontree v. Jenner:
- What facts led to this litigation?
- What was the error alleged by the plaintiffs/appellants?
- Can you tell from reading the opinion what the core difference between negligence liability and strict liability is?
- What reasons does the appellate court give for rejecting the plaintiffs’ arguments regarding the trial court’s jury instructions?
- What policy reasons might justify a general preference for the imposition of negligence standards over strict liability standards?