Emily Collins joined the Pitt Law Faculty in 2008 as a Clinical Assistant Professor and Supervising Attorney of the Environmental Law Clinic. Professor Collins comes to Pitt Law from the Office of Public Interest Counsel of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, where she served as a state-employed public interest environmental attorney in the areas of water quality, water rights, air quality, solid waste disposal, low-level radioactive waste disposal, remediation, and wastewater rates.
Drawing on her public interest practice and education at the Pace Environmental Litigation Clinic and the Gallatin School of New York University, Professor Collins has designed an interdisciplinary clinic that teaches students to work effectively in cross-disciplinary teams that provide legal and technical assistance to groups and individuals with environmental and community health concerns in Western Pennsylvania.
- Water Quality
- Water Rights
- Science and the Law
- Client Counseling Methodologies
- Reuse and Disposal Issues with Chloride, Acid Mine Drainage, and Radioactive Elements, Environmental Issues in Natural Gas Production, (HalfMoon Seminars, LLC, Feb. 2012.)
- New Withdrawals, New Impairments As Pennsylvania Develops the Marcellus Shale, ABA Section of Environment, Energy & Resources, 2010 Eastern Water Resources Conference-Surplus and Scarcity: Adapting to Hydraulic Disruption in the East (May 21, 2010).
- Presenter, “New York Senate Standing Committee on Environmental Conservation,” Shale Gas Development Wastewater Management and Disposal, (Dec. 2011).
- Co-presenter, “Single Source Determinations,” (Mar. 2012).
- Presenter, “Shale Development & Water Protection: Public Participation & Water Protection Opportunities,” Public Forum on the Ambridge Reservoir and Natural Gas Drilling, (April 2012).
- Co-presenter, “Course Design for Practice Ready Assignments: Environmental Law and Practice,” New England Consortium of Legal Writing, (Dec. 2011).
SSRN Author Page
Selected Professional Activities
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources.
- Member, Clinical Legal Education Association.
- Member, American Association of Law Schools, Member, Allegheny County Bar Association.
- Associate, Environmental Law Institute.
- Reviewer, Environmental Science & Technology.
- Reviewer, policy paper for NRDC on wastewater management law and practices for shale gas development wastewater.
- Advisory Committee Member, The Sprout Fund Seed Award.
- Advisory Committee Member, BikePGH.
- Advisory Committee Member, The Sprout Fund Seed Award — Fayette/ Greene Counties.
- Advisory Committee Member, Allegheny County Health Department, Development of the Allegheny County Health Department Air Toxics Guidelines.