Michael J. Madison
Faculty Director, Innovation Practice Institute
Professor of Law
- (412) 648-7855
- LAW 311
Professor Madison writes and teaches about information law and theory. Classroom subjects include various disciplines of intellectual property law, contracts and commercial law, and property law. His scholarship builds on research on common pool resources, on governance, and on "knowledge" as a subject of legal regulation.
Professor Madison joined the Pitt Law faculty in 1998. Before becoming a law professor, he practiced law in California for nine years.
Faculty Director, Innovation Practice Institute (2011-present)
Associate Dean for Research (2005-2010)
Faculty, Intellectual Property and Technology Law Certificate Program (Director 2002-2005)
- Information Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Copyright Law
- Trademark Law
- Law & Technology
- Property Theory
Books and Book Chapters
- The Law of Intellectual Property, 2nd edition, (with Craig Nard and David Barnes), includes Teachers' Manual and website (Aspen Publishers, 2009).
- The Law of Intellectual Property
(Aspen Publishers, 2006) (with Craig Nard and David Barnes)
- Fair Use and Social Practices, in Intellectual Property and Information Wealth (Greenwood Publishers, 2006) (Peter Yu ed.) [view/download]
Articles and Essays
- Constructing Commons in the Cultural Environment, 95 CORNELL L. REV. 657-709 (2010) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
- The Complexity of Commons, 95 CORNELL L. REV. 839-850 (2010) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
- Beyond Creativity, Copyright as Knowledge Law, 12 VANDERBILT J. ENT. & TECH. L. 817-851 (2010). On SSRN.
- Some Optimism About Fair Use and Copyright Law, 57 J. COPYRIGHT SOC'Y U.S.A. 351-370 (2010). On SSRN.
- Of Coase and Comics, or the Comedy of Copyright, 95 VA. L. REV. IN BRIEF 27- 42 (2009). On SSRN.
- Notes on a Geography of Knowledge, 77 FORDHAM L. REV. 2038-2085 (2009). On SSRN.
- The University as Constructed Cultural Commons, 30 WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY J.L. & POL’Y 365-406 (2009) (with Brett M. Frischmann & Katherine J. Strandburg). On SSRN.
- Intellectual Property and Americana, or Why Intellectual Property Gets the Blues, 18 FORDHAM INTELL. PROP. MEDIA & ENT. L.J. 677-710 (2008). On SSRN.
- Writing to Learn Law and Writing in Law: An Intellectual Property Illustration, 52 ST. LOUIS U. L.J. 823-41 (2008). On SSRN.
- Metaphor, Objects, and Commodities, 54 CLEV. ST. L. REV. 141-174 (2006) (with George Taylor). On SSRN.
- The Idea of the Law Review: Scholarship, Prestige, and Open Access
10 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 901 (2006) [view/download]
- Social Software, Groups, and Governance
2006 Mich. St. L. Rev. 153 [view/download]
- Law as Design: Objects, Concepts, and Digital Things
56 Case W. Res. L. Rev. 381 (2005) [view/download]
Awards and Honors
Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award (2009)