State-by-State Bar Exam Information: California
The last Tue, Wed and Thu of February and July
Timely filing deadline is April 1. The fee is $1,114. Latest filing deadline, with highest late fee, is June 15. In addition, applicants must register with the California Bar within 10 days after submission of the application.
Written: Two three-hour performance tests and six one-hour state-law essay questions
Multiple-choice: The Multistate Bar Examination
Yes, for a fee of $139 and a $15 late fee. All applicants who request to take the exam on a laptop will be able to do so.
Yes. Questions and sample answers can be downloaded from the CA Bar website here.
The MBE is weighted at 35% of the overall score, and the written portions (essays, 39%, and performance tests, 26%, combined) are weighted at 65%.
2012: 68%; 2011: 69.4%
2012: 55%; 2011: 54.8%