State-by-State Bar Exam Information: Georgia
The last Tue and Wed of February and July
There are two applications to be completed. The first is the application for a certification of fitness to practice law, which is available online at all times. The second is the application to take the bar exam itself, which is not available online. It becomes available on or about April 1.
The application for a certification of fitness to practice law is due early December of the previous year or, with a late fee, by early March. The application to take the exam is due by the first Friday in June. Consult the Georgia Board of Bar Examiners' website for precise dates.
Written: Four state-law essay questions written by the Georgia Board of Bar Examiners and two performance tests from the Multistate Performance Test
Multiple-choice: The Multistate Bar Examination (MBE)
All written questions (four essays and two 90-minute performance tests) are administered on Tuesday, and the MBE is administered on Wednesday.
Yes. All applicants who seek to take the exam on a laptop will be able to do so.
Yes as to both. They are available on the Board of Bar Examiners' website.
The written portions (performance tests, 21.4%, and essays, 28.6%, combined) and the MBE are weighted equally--each at 50%.
2012: 85%; 2011: 84.3%
2012: 80%; 2011: 78.2%
Yes, but only if they have practiced law for five of the last seven years and are admitted in a state with which Georgia has reciprocity. Applicants from non-reciprocal states can be admitted based on passing a one-day attorneys' exam.