Center for International Legal Education
The Center for International Legal Education (CILE) at Pitt Law exists to advance legal education and the rule of law, both at the School and throughout the world. Our work includes:
- the Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree program;
- our S.J.D. doctoral program for LL.M. program graduates;
- a range of programs and assistance for Pitt Law JD students;
- a Visiting Scholar program for foreign academics; and
- outreach to the legal profession both at home and abroad.
Summer Study with CILE in Italy and Pittsburgh
CLE Summer Opportunity in Verona, Italy
CILE and the University of Verona will co-sponsor a Summer School in Transnational Commercial Law & Technology in Verona, Italy, on May 30 - June 1, 2019. The 2019 School has been approved for twelve (12) hours of substantive Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Credit. Read more here.
US Law and Legal English
CILE and Pitt’s English Language Institute co-sponsor a four-week summer program for foreign undergraduates with an interest in US law and the US educational experience, beginning the first Monday after the July 4 holiday. Learn more here, and download our program brochures: English Arabic Chinese Korean Portuguese Spanish
CELEBRATING 30+ YEARS OF THE CISG
On March 22 and 23, 2019, more than two dozen international scholars gathered at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law for a conference celebrating the passage of more than 30 years since the Convention on the International Sale of Goods first came into force. Videos of the panels and keynote address can be viewed here.
Pitt Law’s Center for International Legal Education (CILE) advances legal education and the rule of law, both at Pitt Law and throughout the world. CILE:
- Enhances the education of all Pitt Law students by supporting the study of international and comparative law;
- Promotes individually tailored opportunities both within and outside the classroom to develop the competencies necessary to thrive in a globalized economy and legal market;
- Advances the education of lawyers from throughout the world by bringing foreign-trained lawyers to Pitt Law for study and research;
- Builds the foundations of rule of law in countries in transition by training their future lawyers and statespeople and by supporting programs to strengthen their institutions of law and legal education.
Without lawyers there cannot be rule of law, and without good legal education there cannot be the type of lawyers who will help establish and sustain the rule of law.
To make financial donation in support of the Center for International Legal Education’s programs you can:
- Use the University’s online form to donate using a credit card. This online form involves several steps. On its first page you identify yourself and the amount of the donation. On the second page you have the opportunity to direct your gift to the Center for International Legal Education by inserting the Center’s name in the box designated “other.”
- Send a check (made payable to “University of Pittsburgh”) directly to the CILE office: Room 317A, 3900 Forbes Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15260.
- Send a check to the law school’s Development Office designating “Center for International Legal Education” on your check’s memo line and specifically identifying the program or issue of your choice (LL.M., study abroad, human rights presentations, etc.) in an enclosed note.
Your gift supports exciting scholarship, programmatic, and study abroad opportunities for students and legal practitioners in international law.
CILE alumni are fascinating and important people. Some have returned to the law school as adjunct faculty or guest lecturers informing and inspiring subsequent students about careers. Others keep in touch by visiting our library, seeking recommendation letters, providing internships for current students, and telling us about themselves. We love to hear about our JD and LL.M. alumni continuing to network with each other after graduation.
Center for International Legal Education
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
3900 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone: 001- 412- 648-7023
Ronald A. Brand
Richard G. Thorpe
Contact us if you would like to:
Keep up with the latest news from the Center for International Legal Education on Facebook.
In this Section
Explore how CILE can enhance and support your JD curriculum and increase your breadth of knowledge of international legal matters.
Explore the LLM program for foreign-trained lawyers, as well as the SJD and Visiting Scholars programs.
View the latest news and connect with CILE via events and publications, including CILE Notes.
CILE can take you beyond Pittsburgh with exchange programs at the Sorbonne in Paris and in Augsburg, Germany, international internships, and other opportunities.
Watch Prof. Emeritus Harry Flechtner's performance of the CISG Song and more