With over 35 years of experience in oil & gas litigation, Kevin is recognized as one of the best oil & gas lawyers in the United States. He has tried numerous cases and argued appeals for natural gas exploration and production companies, pipeline companies and utilities. Kevin has also tried numerous libel cases for media companies. He has used his expertise in both fields to teach Oil & Gas Law and Media Law as Professor of Practice at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Professional honors include:
- Recognized by the Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Energy Law.
- Recipient of the McClaugherty Award by the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation in 2020.
- Named by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers in the energy law field every year since 2004 and in Super Lawyers Business Edition in the area of Energy & Natural Resources.
- Recipient of the Pittsburgh Business Times’ Energy Leadership Award and recognized in its “Who’s Who in Energy” list every year.
- Recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer in Energy/Environmental Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbel
- Earned Martindale-Hubbell‘s highest rating of AV Preeminent, the highest possible rating in legal ability and ethical standing
- Pennsylvania Annual Report on Oil and Gas Legal Developments, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, 2009-2013 | Co-Author(s): Nicolle R. Snyder Bagnell
- "Dual-Purpose Leases in Pennsylvania: What Does ‘or’ Mean?" The Legal Intelligencer, 22 July 2014 | Co-Author(s): Nicolle R. Snyder Bagnell, Lucas Liben
- "Land Use, Leasing, and Title Issues in Energy Law" University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2013 Energy Law & Policy Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, 10 May 2012
- "Recording Requirements and Local Issues in the Marcellus and Utica Shales States" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation's "Resolving Title Issues in Shale Development" Conference, Wheeling, WV, 11 November 2011
- "Understanding And Dealing With The Regulatory, Development, And Production Issues In The United States" TechLaw Fall Conference, Reed Smith LLP, Pittsburgh, PA, 8 June 2011
- "Oil and Gas Leasing in the Marcellus Shale Region: 'Post-Production Cost'" AAPL's 57th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, 7 June 2011
- "Emerging Issues in the Law of Marcellus Shale", LexisNexis Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2011
- "Condemnation in the Natural Gas Industry: Who Can Take What, When, and How Much Will It Cost" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Conference, Farmington, PA, 5 April 2011
- "Recent Decisions Affecting the Development of the Marcellus Shale in Pennsylvania" University of Pittsburgh Law Review and the Innovation Practice Institute, University Club, Pittsburgh, PA, 7 December 2010
- "Leasing and Development in the Marcellus Shale Region: Avoiding the Pitfalls" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation and Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA, 28 October 2009
- "Royalty Litigation in Pennsylvania: Tawney with a Twist" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation's 34th Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, KY, 2009
- American Arbitration Association – Selected as a member of its national arbitration panel; served as an arbitrator in numerous commercial disputes and energy disputes
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation – Board of Trustees
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association – Served for seven years on the Board of Directors