Kevin C. Abbott
In July 2015, Kevin was named as the Director of the University of Pittsburgh’s Energy Law & Policy Institute and continues to serve in that role. The Institute holds conferences which attract the leading national law professors, energy industry leaders, energy lawyers, and environmental groups. He teaches Oil & Gas Law and other courses at the School of Law.
Kevin is a senior counsel at Reed Smith in the Energy & Natural Resources Group. He focuses his work in energy litigation, oil and gas law, and media law. He has more than 30 years of experience in representing clients in the oil and gas industry, natural gas exploration and production companies, interstate pipeline companies and utilities. Kevin is currently advising natural gas exploration and production companies on issues related to exploration of Marcellus and Utica Shales in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and New York. He is the adjunct professor for oil and gas law at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law.
Kevin is the recipient of the Pittsburgh Business Times' 2012 Leadership Award and was recognized in its "Who's Who in Energy" list in 2014. He has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, and as a Top Rated Lawyer in Energy/Environmental Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™. Kevin has also been listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers in the energy field in every year since 2004, and in Super Lawyers Business Edition in the area of Energy & Natural Resources.
- Honorable Leroy J. Contie, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals - Sixth Circuit
- Honorable Leroy J. Contie, Jr., U.S. District Court - Northern District of Ohio
- Pennsylvania Annual Report on Oil and Gas Legal Developments, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy and Resources, 2009-2013 | Co-Author(s): Nicolle R. Snyder Bagnell
- "Dual-Purpose Leases in Pennsylvania: What Does ‘or’ Mean?" The Legal Intelligencer, 22 July 2014 | Co-Author(s): Nicolle R. Snyder Bagnell, Lucas Liben
- "Land Use, Leasing, and Title Issues in Energy Law" University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2013 Energy Law & Policy Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, 10 May 2012
- "Recording Requirements and Local Issues in the Marcellus and Utica Shales States" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation's "Resolving Title Issues in Shale Development" Conference, Wheeling, WV, 11 November 2011
- "Understanding And Dealing With The Regulatory, Development, And Production Issues In The United States" TechLaw Fall Conference, Reed Smith LLP, Pittsburgh, PA, 8 June 2011
- "Oil and Gas Leasing in the Marcellus Shale Region: 'Post-Production Cost'" AAPL's 57th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, 7 June 2011
- "Emerging Issues in the Law of Marcellus Shale", LexisNexis Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2011
- "Condemnation in the Natural Gas Industry: Who Can Take What, When, and How Much Will It Cost" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Conference, Farmington, PA, 5 April 2011
- "Recent Decisions Affecting the Development of the Marcellus Shale in Pennsylvania" University of Pittsburgh Law Review and the Innovation Practice Institute, University Club, Pittsburgh, PA, 7 December 2010
- "Leasing and Development in the Marcellus Shale Region: Avoiding the Pitfalls" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation and Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA, 28 October 2009
- "Royalty Litigation in Pennsylvania: Tawney with a Twist" Energy & Mineral Law Foundation's 34th Mineral Law Conference, Lexington, KY, 2009
Selected Professional Activities
- American Arbitration Association – Selected as a member of its national arbitration panel; served as an arbitrator in numerous commercial disputes and energy disputes
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation – Board of Trustees
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association – Served for seven years on the Board of Directors