Martha Mannix's interest in elder law is a product of her three years of empirical research on guardianship reform in Pennsylvania. Through this foundation-funded research project, Mannix analyzed implementation of guardianship reform in Allegheny County and was instrumental in developing an Orphans' Court pilot project utilizing a special master in guardianship proceeding.
In addition to her clinical teaching, Mannix is active within the aging services community of Allegheny County, working with the Guardianship Committee of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Partnership on Aging to develop a Guide for Guardians. She is a member of the Elder Law Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association and the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Mannix is a former staff attorney and assistant director of the Office of Staff Attorneys for the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to joining the Law School, she was engaged in private practice in Pittsburgh, concentrating in business litigation. She is a member of the bars of Pennsylvania and California (inactive). She has served on the Board of Directors of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Partnership on Aging, as well as on its membership and guardianship committees and is an active member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
- See Awards & Activities For More Information
Director, John P. Gismondi Civil Litigation Certificate Program
- Southwestern Pennsylvania Partnership for Aging
Board of Directors (2000-2010), Member
- Guardianship Committee. Worked with Committee to develop several editions of “A Guide for Guardians,” distributed by SWPPA and the Pennsylvania Department of Aging
- American Inns of Court, University of Pittsburgh Chapter
Member (2004 to 2015), Executive Committee (2004-2010)
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Elder Law Committee
- Senior Action Coalition (2002-2008)
Non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness and to preventing fraud on the elderly
- Subsidized Legal Guardianship of Minors Committee (2001-2002)
Co-chair of Ad Hoc Committee which brought together stakeholders in the kinship care arena to advocate for the adoption of subsidized legal guardianship as a permanency option for children in foster care.