Established in fall of 2018, the vision guiding the operation of this office is Equity and Inclusive Excellence.
Equity is structural. Our vision of an equitable law school is realized when institutional barriers to fulfilling one’s potential as a law student are removed or accommodated for
Inclusion is cultural. An academic culture can be described as inclusive when learners feel welcome and supported within both the law school and the communities the school is integral to
The mission of the OEIE is:
To identify and remove or accommodate for structural barriers to students accessing opportunities available through the law school.
To develop, discuss, and model the habits of inclusion that will support student and faculty efforts to bring about an inclusive campus community.
To engage with external contacts to enrich students' regional and professional connections.
An additional session of OEIE Office Hours to discuss the Events of January 6th will take place on Thursday, January 21st from noon-1pm EST.
Deans Allie Linsenmeyer and Tomar Pierson-Brown will be hosting. All current Pitt Law students, faculty, and staff are welcome.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://pitt.zoom.us/j/97982922906
Meeting ID: 979 8292 2906
Mission: The Community Fund for Black Bar Applicants was founded by Octavia Carson, JD, a 2020 law school graduate. The intent is to provide at least $500 to 100 Black bar exam applicants across the U.S. each year. This mission stems from a goal to diversify the legal profession and raise the percentage of Black attorneys in the U.S. from 5% to 20% by 2024.
Eligibility and Process: One is eligible to apply if they identify as Black, African American or Pan African and if they are preparing to take a bar exam in the U.S. in 2021. Each time $500 is raised, it is donated to the first person currently in line to receive a donation. One can apply multiple times and may be moved to the end of the list once they receive their first donation.
Council on Legal Education Opportunity (CLEO) pre-law seminar is now online - Sat., Feb. 27, 2021
The ultimate pre-law seminar designed to help you become a competitive law school applicant. Hosted by Pitt Law, this is a jumpstart to the LSAT for undergraduate Juniors, Seniors, Post-Grads. This is Super Saturday for Sophomores and the road to law school for Freshmen.
OEIE Student Advisory Council - Spring Term 2021 - Fridays, Jan. 29th - Apr. 16th, from 12:10 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Any interesetd JD students can participate in the Canvas modules and attend the Student Advisory Council's zoom meetings (see below). Please contact Dean Pierson-Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org to make this arrangement.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 950 5056 8733
Pitt Law Credo
- INCLUSION: We strive to create an environment where persons of differing backgrounds are welcomed, where different perspectives are respectfully voiced and respectfully heard and where every individual is valued & included.
- CIVILITY: We treat people with unconditional respect and an assumption of good faith, giving meaningful consideration to the ideas, beliefs, and feelings of others as a matter of professionalism and self-discipline.
- INTELLECTUAL RIGOR: We challenge ourselves and others to critically examine facts and ideas meticulously and from diverse perspectives.
- JUSTICE: We strive to attain equal justice under law, and to assure that justice benefits everyone across our society.
University Support Resources
- Disability Resources and Services: accommodations and support for anyone with a registered disability.
- Student Health Center: appointments and walk-in medical appointments.
- University Counseling Center: mental health counseling and therapy services.
Associate Dean for Equity and Inclusive Excellence
Barco Room #422C | email@example.com
|Vincent O. Johnson
Director of Equity & Inclusive Excllence
Barco Room #312 | firstname.lastname@example.org