Mr. Baum is a Founding Member and President of Matis Baum OConnor. For more than 30 years, Mr. Baum has focused his practice on the representation of physicians, nursing homes, and other healthcare providers, particularly in the defense of medical malpractice lawsuits, and in related contract and employment litigation. Mr. Baum has extensive trial experience, having tried over 100 cases in his career.
Mr. Baum also represents healthcare professionals in administrative matters involving professional licensing, certification, credentialing, discipline, and privileges. He has defended medical providers in malpractice and related lawsuits (including wrongful discharge, breach of contract, and defamation) in state and federal courts and in alternative dispute resolution forums throughout Western and Central Pennsylvania.
Mr. Baum is an Officer and is on the Board of Governors of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, and is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law where he teaches Advanced Trial Evidence. Martindale-Hubbell gives Mr. Baum an A/V Preeminent peer review rating, which is their highest rating for both legal ability and personal qualities such as reliability, diligence and ethics. Since 2007, Mr. Baum has been listed in every edition of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. He has served as a lecturer and panelist for numerous continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Professional Education Systems Institute, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, and Allegheny County Bar Association. Mr. Baum is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- Medical Malpractice Issues for the Primary Care Physician, St. Francis Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA. March 17, 1999.
- Medical Malpractice: Focus on Orthopedic Surgery, Pennsylvania Association of Trial Lawyers (PaTLA), Pittsburgh, PA., October 12, 1999.
- Pennsylvania & New Jersey Nursing Home Negligence: Asserting Claims & Defending Nursing Homes, Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI), Pittsburgh, PA., March 6, 2002.
- Tough Problems in Medical Malpractice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI), Pittsburgh, PA., December 17, 2002.
- Pennsylvania Nursing Home Negligence Litigation: Preparation, Mediation & Trial, Professional Education Systems Institute (PESI), Pittsburgh, PA., March 21, 2003.
- New Civil Jury Instructions, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (PaTLA), Pittsburgh, PA., February 15, 2006.
- Trial of a Medical Malpractice Case, Pennsylvania Bar institute (PBI), Pittsburgh, PA., June 14, 2007.
- The Trial of a Nursing Home Case, Pennsylvania Health Care Association (PHCA/CALM) Annual Convention, Harrisburg, PA September 19, 2007.
Selected Professional Activities
- Rated AV in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory ("A" legal ability rating of high to very high; and "V" general recommendation of very high).
- Who’s Who in America; Who’s Who in American Law; Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America.
- Fellow of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County; Member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County; Allegheny County Bar Foundation; Defense Research Institute (DRI); Court Rules Committee; ACBA Players Bench Bar Show Orchestra.
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, Officer and Board Member
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors, PICT Classic Theatre, 2009-present